Coroners Court New South Wales

Where to get legal advice and information

There is no requirement to be represented by a solicitor at an inquest, but some people choose to have a lawyer. If you are the Senior next of kin, the legal officer assisting the Coroner may be able to help you by asking questions of witnesses at the inquest on your behalf.  Alternatively, the Law Society of NSW can provide information and referral services that help you quickly identify qualified solicitors that offer legal services appropriate for your needs.

Community Legal Centres are independent community organisations providing equitable and accessible legal services.

The Coronial Inquest Unit is a statewide specialist service of Legal Aid NSW providing free legal advice, assistance and representation to people at coronial inquests where the matter involves some ‘public interest’.

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and, in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW.

Staff from the Coronial Information and Support Program can offer guidance and information about the role and legal powers of the Coroner.

Last updated:

11 May 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top